- 3 to 3 1/2 pound chicken
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorn, roasted
- 1 thick slice fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups water
- Combine the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sugar, fennel seeds, star anise, roasted Szechuan peppercorn, ginger, cinnamon stick and the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken to the pot.
- Simmer for an hour, be sure to turn the chicken over occassionally for even cooking.
- Baste the chicken for a minute or more each time you turn it over.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, cool and cut into bite-sized pieces.