- 3 lbs pork (shoulder or butt)
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf (laurel)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cups orange juice
- Broth to cover meat
- Lard or oil for frying
- salt to taste
Cooking Instructions (total time : 3 hours 15 minutes)
- In a large pot, brown the pork on both sides.
- Carefully add in the orange juice, then add broth to cover meat.
- Add in garlic, bay leaf and the onion.
- Bring the liquid to a boil then turn it down to a simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time, turn up the heat to help evaporate the excess liquid.
- When the liquid is gone, and just the fat is left, use tongs to break up the meat into smaller chunks (think golf-ball size or smaller) and begin to fry them in the remaining fat.
- Add a few sprinkles of salt while you are doing this.
- The pork is ready when the edges of the chunks become browned and crispy. You can serve it as-is in the larger chunks, or you can remove it from the pot and chop it up into smaller pieces to use as a filling for tacos or burritos.