- 1 1/2 pounds lean pork, cut into cubes
- 3/4 pound pork fatback
- 1/2 pound duck legs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/4 teapoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Preheat an oven to 325F.
- In a large baking dish, mix together all the ingredients, cover with foil or a lid, and cook it for 3 hours, until the meat is falling apart. Add more water, if necessary, to keep the meat from drying out.
- Remove from the heat and allow the meat to cool in the dish for 30-45 minutes, until it is just warm.
- Remove the bay leaf and bones, and shred and stir the meat and fat with a large fork until it resembles a chunky, creamy spread.
- Chill the pâté for at least 24 hours before serving.