- Bell peppers of a variety of colors
- 2 onions
- 2-3 tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Take bell peppers of a variety of colors, seed them, and rib them.
- Thinly slice one or two onions, depending upon the number of peppers, and blanch, peel, seed, and crumble a couple of tomatoes.
- Mince and sauté a little bit of the onion in olive oil, and when it begins to brown add the remaining onion and the peppers.
- Cook covered for a few minutes over a medium flame, just long enough for the peppers and onion to wilt without browning.
- At this point remove the cover and cook, stirring gently, until the liquid evaporates.
- Next, add the crumbled tomatoes; when they have wilted but aren't completely cooked the peperonata is ready: You'll end up with a dish that's somewhat cooked and somewhat raw, and which can be eaten hot, as a side dish, or spread cold over slices of toasted bread as a snack.