- 1 duck
- 8 cups water
- 1 slice ginger
- 1 scallion, halved
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolve in 3 tablespoons water
- Clean and dry the duck. Hang by the neck to dry for five hours. Use a fan if necessary.
- Put the water in a wok and add the ginger, cornstarch. scallion, honey, sherry and vinegar to create a dousing sauce.
- Once the sauce has boiled bath the duck in it by scooping or pouring the sauce over the duck. Do this for 15 minutes.
- After this, hang the duck back up to dry for six hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the duck in the oven with a dripping pan beneath it.
- Bake for an hour taking care to turn the duck over.
- Serve the skin and the meat separately by removing the skin crisp with a knife.
- Serve with mandarin pancakes to be used as wrapping. (see mandarin pancakes recipe on this site)