- 1 cup dashi
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/2 cup miso
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 4 small Japanese eggplants, cut in half lengthwise
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- sesame seed
- For the sauce, whisk the dashi, sugar, mirin, miso and corn starch together.
- Heat over medium heat stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Take it off the heat and add the yuzu whisking it in to the sauce.
- For the eggplant, slice them in half lengthwise and score a criss-cross pattern into them to help retain the sauce.
- Brush with oil and grill on a BBQ or under a broiler until the tops are a dark brown and the eggplant is cooked.
- Give the sliced sides a good coating of sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds then put under a broiler to get a little caramelization (be careful, this sauce will burn quickly).
- Serve immediately with some rice.