- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, and salt to a boil.
- Add flour.
- Stir the mixture for 20-30 seconds, until a sticky dough ball forms and begins pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Reduce heat to low-medium heat and cook, stirring, for 90 seconds.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, along with cheeses and seasonings.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the gougeres are a deep golden brown. Serve.