French Onion Soup
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 4 large onions (or 6 medium)
- 100 grams (3 1/2 ounces) grated cheese
- 200 grams (7 ounces) butter
- 1 bottle ordinary white wine
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) bouillon powder
- 4 slices of white bread
- 1 clove of garlic
Cooking Instructions (total time : 20 minutes)
- Peel skin off onions. Slice onions into rings. Separate rings and put in frying pan.
- Add 100 grams of butter to frying pan.
- Cook onion on medium heat until glazed (i.e. onion becomes soft). Gently turn onion periodically to avoid burning.
- Add bottle of wine and the bouillon.
- Simmer for half an hour. - During this time:
- grate the cheese if it is not already grated, and
- pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and
- rub garlic into white bread and cut into 1 cm cubes, fry in remaining butter.
- Ladle (or spoon) the onion and wine into the bowls.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of each bowl.
- Put the bowls in the oven for 20 minutes. When the cheese is fully melted, it is ready to serve
- Sprinkle cooked bread (known as "croutons") on the soup just before serving
- Side dish: baguette (the traditional French bread stick)