- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 12 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/16 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp, rinsed and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
To make Beurre Blanc:
- Simmer the shallots, white wine, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until the mixture is reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
- Add the cream and bring to just under a simmer.
- When the first few bubbles rise, turn the heat down very slightly and add the 12 tablespoons of butter, one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly. Be sure to allow one pat of butter to melt completely before adding the next.
- Once the butter is fully incorporated, season the beurre blanc sauce with white pepper and set aside.
- In a skillet over high heat, melt 5 tablespoons of butter, and then sauté shrimp, turning a few times until cooked through – about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to ow and season the shrimp with salt.
- Carefully add the Cognac(it may flame) and stir thoroughly. Spoon the warm beurre blanc sauce over the hot shrimp and serve.
- Makes 2 servings.