Chicken Fried Steak
Ingredients (5 servings)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 pounds top round steak, about 1/2" thick, tenderized
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups saltine cracker crumbs, finely crushed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Beat the eggs together with half the cream.
- Mix half a cup of flour with the salt and pepper.
- Cut the meat into serving-size pieces.
- Pound the mixture into both sides of the meat with the edge of a heavy plate or mallet.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Dip the meat in the egg mixture, and then into the cracker crumbs.
- Add to the hot oil.
- Cook until steaks are browned then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn the meat occassionally while you simmer. After 15 minutes remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce oil in pan to around 4 tablespoons and then add flour, the remaining cream, and the chicken broth to create gravy.
- Pour the gravy ont he meat and serve.