Caldo De Res
- 2 pounds beef shank with bone
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 ears corn, husked and cut into thirds
- 1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 4 radishes, quartered
- Remove most of the meat from the bones. Do a rough cut so that some meat is left on the bones.
- Slice the meat into bit-sized chunks.
- Put the water in pot and heat until very hot but not boiling
- Line a heavy soup pot with oil and then put in the meat and bones.
- Cook and stir until meat is browned.
- Add the onion and continue to stir until the onion is also browned.
- Pour the beef broth into the pot and add the diced tomatoes. Make sure that the broth immerses the meat and bones.
- Simmer for 1 hour or until meat becomes tender.
- Add the carrot, corn, cabbage and the silantro and continue to simmer until vegetables become tender.
- Ladle into bowls to serve and garnish with, jalapeños, onion and cilantro.