- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 pound clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/3 to 1/2-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
- Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches.
- Heat over medium heat to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, salt and pepper.
- Working in small batches, dredge the squid in the flour mixture to coat.
- Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and golden brown, about 1 minute per batch.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Serve with marinara sauce and lemon wedges.