Beef Noodle Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds beef short ribs, cut between bones into pieces
- 7 cups water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Scotch or medium-dry Sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- six 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices fresh gingerroot
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- a 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil if desired
- In a heavy kettle (at least 5 quarts) combine short ribs, water, soy sauce, Scotch, and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and skim froth.
- Add gingerroot, 5 scallions, garlic, cinnamon, aniseed, and pepper flakes and simmer, covered for 2 hours.
- Remove meat from kettle and chop, discarding fat and bones.
- Strain broth through a fine sieve into a large saucepan and add chopped meat.
- Add turnips and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add noodles and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Slice remaining 3 scallions thin and stir into soup. Stir in sesame oil then serve.